Thursday, June 12, 2008

Watch out Warcraft, Funcom might have something with Age of Conan (maybe).

Speculate, speculate, speculate. Its what everyone wants to do about Funcom's newest MMO Age of Conan. I've reviewed it, I've looked at screencaps, read forums, etc.

I'm just not much for speculation. But, looking at the numbers, I think we might be seeing something happening - something vis a vis AoC taking at least some marketshare in the older demographics (AoC is rated M after all).

Still, take a look at this.








What are we looking at? We're taking a look at search behaviors on Google for 2008 between WoW (Red) and AoC (Blue). Look closely at 2008. What you are seeing is a decrease in searches for WoW with a simulataneous upswing in searches on AoC.

But what does all this mean? Alone, nothing much. What we need to look at is the demographics AoC is going after; simple - 18+ (again Rated M), and we need to determine the market size of MMO players in that demographic.

Once we have that, we need to see how WoW is doing with that demo or parts of that demo. Are they losing share? If so, how much?

This is what the next few posts I'll be putting out will discuss. We'll be reviewing the progress of search, sure, but more importantly we'll be looking at demographic climb and decline for both WoW and AoC. Interesting stuff. Stay tuned.

No comments: